Terms of Reference Development of Eco-Generation Resource Guide at Nature Rwanda: (Deadline 3-August-2022)
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency(Sida), through Save the Children International (SCI) in Rwanda, is implementing a five-year program (2022-2026) to develop a strong civil society that demands and supports the fulfillment of children’s rights—holding states to account, mobilizing and empowering children and their communities. This program focuses on the five Sida’s mandatory perspectives: (1) Perspectives of the most marginalized and deprived children; (2) Child Rights Programming, (3) Gender Equality; (4) Conflict Sensitivity; and (5) Climate Change & Environment.
Nature Rwanda is one of the implementing partners of this program to establish child-led groups where children are inspired and supported to become active participants in creating a suitable environment for their health, education, and development in a fun and relevant way using “Greenie” as a “vehicle”. Children will gain the capacity to assess their community’s environmental needs, develop action plans to address those needs, and implement activities. As part of this program; Nature Rwanda will integrate principles and policy guidance on children’s rights to a safe, clean, and healthy environment around the five Sida mandatory perspectives.
- Justification for consultancy
Natural environment is under increasing pressure, arising from a range of causes including the rapid pace of development, population growth, the scourge of ecosystem degradation and climate change, and environmental illiteracy has exacerbated the situation. These have the potential to destroy livelihoods, drive migration and conflict, and cripple opportunities for children and young people. This is the era in which the next global generation of children will grow up in a world made far more dangerous and uncertain as a result of environmental degradation.
In this regard, there is a critical need to raise a generation of informed, active, and participating citizens who can make knowledgeable decisions on behalf of their communities and environment. Young people should be given the opportunity to open up and talk about their issues and decisions that may affect their right to a healthy, safe, and clean environment. This will be achieved by developing an Eco-generation resource guide that can help young people to understand their current stage of being and the process of becoming, and equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills to become active environmental changemakers. The resource guide will help young people not only feel that they can initiate some change themselves but also recognize that it is always appropriate to invite others to join them as beneficiaries of the shared resources. The metaphor for the ladder model will be the guiding principle of this resource guide to increase the engagement of young people at three levels:
- Education about the environment: providing young people with practical knowledge about environmental protection, climate change, and the impact humans have on it.
The resource guide should integrate and adopt child-centered approaches and actions as part of policy and decision making, and strategic planning for climate change, pollution control and waste management, biodiversity conservation, and sustainable use of natural resources.
- Education from the environment: using the natural environment around schools as teaching tools to provide knowledge and hone the skills to protect the environment.
The resource guide should guide young people on how to install Eco-spaces and outdoor learning, sustainable use and management of resources, and demonstrating the concepts of regenerative greening.
- Education for the environment: developing a consciousness and deep concern about the living environment and promoting responsibility for taking care of and protecting it.
The resource should demonstrate a series of activities that can help young people develop environmental leadership and activism, and promote action-oriented learning in schools and communities to support pro-environmental behaviors.
Each unit will include simple step-by-step instructions to support child-led action to improve the environment in their schools and communities. Each unit will be designed to ensure best-practices in project-based environmental learning through an extra-curriculum session with young boys and girls from primary and secondary schools aged between 10-15 years old. Each unit has to include instructions with sketches and drawings, scenarios, and exercises to help young people in an easy and joyful manner. The resource guide will be developed in the Kinyarwanda language in order to help young people understand and gain experience with more clarity. A larger font size between 16-24 points is highly recommended, with a child-customized cover page, header designs, titles and subtitles, and colors. Example topics for units may include: – Climate change – collection of rainwater, monitoring the weather, disaster preparedness – Waste management (including plastic pollution) – recycling at school/community, campaign against plastic pollution, making compost – Water and sanitation – measuring the quality of the water, analysis of clean water sources, proposals for schools to improve water and sanitation – Biodiversity conservation, school garden.
- Consultation Goals and methodology
The main goal of this consultancy is to develop a resource guide to helpchildren become environmentally conscious, and develop into environmentally friendly, skilled, and responsible citizens who are willing to work, individually and collectively, towards achieving a high quality of life and environment.
The methodology will be provided by the consultant a detailed implementation methodology
- Consultancy Deliverables
|Nn||Description of Activities||Deliverables||Payment|
|1||Resource guide insights: which includes;
● Desk review report with key identified topics to be covered by the resource guide
● Resource guide template
|One (1) week after Signing Contract||50%|
|2||Draft Eco-generation resource guide: which identifies tools and techniques to sustainably engage children at three levels:
● Education about the environment,
● Education from the environment, and
● Education for the environment.
|Two (2) weeks after Signing Contract||25%|
|3||Final Eco-generation resource guide||Four (4) weeks after Signing Contract||25%|
The duration of the assignment is 1 month. Time extension will be on the basis of mutually agreed terms and unavoidable circumstances.
- Consultant qualifications
The consultant undertaking this assignment must have:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in education, publishing, literature, and other related discipline. An additional certificated in environment related field is an advantage.
- A deep understanding of environmental issues in Rwanda.
- Familiarity with the learner centered based approaches, and having an experience in curriculum development is an asset.
- A proven proficiency in Kinyarwanda
- An evidence of completing one (1) similar assignment within the last five (5) years; and
- How to apply
The consultant who meets the qualifications should submit the following documents:
- Cover letter explaining why he/she is the most suitable consultant for this assignment
- A Curriculum Vitae indicating all relevant experiences and specifying the relevant assignments
- Detailed implementation methodology
- A proof of having undertaken similar work in the past five years.
- Proforma invoice (tax inclusive) to undertake the proposed work.
- Interested consultants should submit their applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to the Executive Director: email@example.com. The deadline for receiving applications is 03-August-2022 at 5 pm Central African Time (CAT).
- Applications not including all of the above information or sentmaterials after the deadline will not be reviewed. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Selection Process
Applications will be evaluated first based on the set evaluation criteria. The proposal with the best overall value, composed of technical compliance and price, will be recommended for approval. The contract will be awarded to the consultant who will obtain the highest combined technical and financial scores, applying the best value for money principle.
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.