Individual Consultancy for Baseline Survey for Giga Initiative, 3 months, Kigali-Rwanda at UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund: (Deadline 22 May 2022)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Knowledge
To learn more about UNICEF work in Rwanda, please visit the country website https://unicef.sharepoint.com/sites/RWA/
How can you make a difference?
The specific objective of the baseline survey includes:
- Establish baseline information on selected technology-based teaching and learning aspects to achieve better learning outcomes for children.
- Establish baseline information on school connectivity infrastructure and applicability to supporting teaching and learning.
- Establish baseline information to inform Giga financing models and their diversification.
Assess the viability/appropriateness of the proposed indicators and recommend necessary adjustment (or suggest new that are considered critical if any).
Scope of Work:
In Rwanda, Giga is being piloted in 63 schools including public and Government-aided primary and secondary schools, Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVETs) and Teacher Training College (TTCs) mostly in rural areas serving underprivileged communities. The children in these selected schools do not ordinarily have access to high-quality teaching and resources to support their learning and English language proficiency, yet English has been the language of instruction in Rwandan schools since 2008.
The scope of Giga in Rwanda has been contextualized to go beyond connectivity. Rwanda has adopted Giga’s 3-level approach to supporting the connection of schools to the internet, digital literacy and English language improvement for teachers and learners, access to affordable devices and relevant digital content to support teaching and learning. In addition to this, Giga is developing an innovative financing model to ensure sustainable access not only to connectivity but also the use of technology for enhancing teaching and learning in schools with the aim of improving learning outcomes for children
Key Tasks / Milestones
- Drafting of Inception report, including the details of the methodology to be used, refined research hypothesis and questions, as well as proposed tools for quantitative and qualitative data collection will be presented to and approved by the Technical Committee
- In-depth desk review of available information on Giga initiative and similar studies, including those implemented in Rwanda, focusing on establishing baseline. Primary data collection and analysis using appropriate tools
- Presentation of initial findings for validation by key stakeholders selected in consultation with UNICEF including the Technical Committee.
- Producing the Final baseline study report with high quality standards
- Producing a PowerPoint presentation of the findings for dissemination
- Inception report
- Data collection and analysis
- Draft Baseline Report
- Final Report
- PowerPoint presentation of the findings
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Education, ICT, or similar background
- Must have proven experience of producing analytical write ups on the same area with UN organizations.
- At least 10 years of working experience in analysis of social issues, preferably on children and in an international environment (previous experience with similar technology-based teaching studies is an advantage).
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience with the application of the Human Rights-based Approach to Programming (HRBAP), an understanding of the gender analysis and other relevant frameworks, ability to conduct equity-focused research and analysis particularly in the African context.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent English language writing skills. Knowledge of Kinyarwanda will be an added advantage.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills.
- For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. The candidate may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid).
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: email@example.com and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.